Demons is a British six-part supernatural television drama series produced by Shine Productions, which premièred on ITV on 3 January 2009. It was produced by the same company that made the Sky1 supernatural drama Hex and the BBC One fantasy series Merlin. The DVD of the one series made was released on 6 April 2009
The plot follows the adventures of a London teenager Luke Rutherford, who learns that he is the last descendant of the Van Helsing line by the sudden arrival of his American godfather Rupert Galvin. Luke is charged with the role of smiting the gathering dark forces of the world whilst trying to live an ordinary life of exams and parties. Rupert Galvin helps train Luke with the assistance of Mina Harker, a blind vampiric concert pianist and authority on half-lives (i.e., vampires, demons, zombies, and werewolves). Luke's best friend Ruby also joins in on the action
- Philip Glenister as Rupert Galvin: An American Demon hunter with a sarcastic sense of humour. He is Luke's godfather and was a close friend of Luke's late father whose death it has been implied he was partly responsible for. Rupert appears ruthless and sometimes cold-blooded as he is driven by a fanatical hatred of demons because one of them murdered his wife but he is a warm-hearted individual who cares about his friends and looks on Luke as a son. He also has a tendency to drink too much to drown his sorrows
- Christian Cooke as Luke Rutherford: The protagonist, Luke is a student who is nearing graduation when he meets his godfather, Rupert Galvin who informs Luke that he is a descendant of Van Helsing and it is his destiny to save the world from demons. Due to this bloodline he is unnaturally skilled at martial arts with above average speed and strength. Luke is reluctant to fight the demons but does so anyway, feeling that it is his duty though he often complains that he would rather be attending social functions with his friends. Luke appears to have a nihilistic outlook on life but cares greatly about his best friend Ruby though he sometimes appears indifferent toward her.
- Holliday Grainger as Ruby: Ruby has been Luke's best friend since they were children and is quite protective of him. She is also in love with him though she is afraid to admit this. She has a rivalry with Mina and insists on accompanying the group in fighting demons and her intelligence and resourcefulness often prove a great help to Luke, Rupert and Mina though they often overlook her and she sometimes questions her importance to them.
- Zoe Tapper as Mina Harker: A beautiful but haughty and arrogant blind woman who has fought Half-Lives with Rupert and Luke's father in the past. She is the same Mina Harker who appears in Bram Stoker's Dracula and has lived for centuries on account of being a vampire however she curbs her vampiric tendencies through dialysis. She treats Ruby like an annoying child and has a psychometric sixth sense that allows her to touch objects and see their history.
- Saskia Wickham as Jenny Rutherford: Luke's mother who fears that he is becoming like his father: vague and always disappearing without telling her why